HOLY HOLE IN A DOUGHNUT!!
Seriously though, these are the holy grail of deep-fried confectionary, if you think such a thing could exist.
You know those doughnut stalls that give you a bag of five for a stupidly low price? The ones that tase ridiculously good? Well these are THAT.
This was my first time making doughnuts, but it sure won’t be the last.
Warning: it may be extremely difficult not to eat them all at once. However, they never taste as good as served fresh, so I’ll turn a blind eye.
Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts
- 50 g vegan butter
- 120 ml soya milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil + extra for frying
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinammon
- 200 g plain flour
- 50 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir in the soya milk and sunflower oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2tsp cinnamon, salt and 50g of sugar and stir with a fork. Make a well in the middle, then gradually add the butter mixture until you’re left with a sticky dough.
- Flour your hands, then use a dessert spoon to lift pieces of the dough into your hands. Roll into a ball, then flatten into a disc. Using your thumbs, push a hole about 2-3cm wide through the middle of the doughnut.
- Heat your oil in the deep set frying pan. You should use enough to cover the doughnuts as they’re dropped in (they will float to the top though). I had my pan on the double ring part of the hob on number 3. So medium-low should be fine. You can test this by dropping a piece of bread in and seeing if it bubbles and floats to the top straight away. If so, it’s hot enough. You may need to drop just one doughnut in at a time at the beginning to gauge the perfect heat.
- Fry doughnuts on each side for 2-2.5 minutes until golden, but not browned. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Once the doughnuts have cooled slightly, combine the other 75g sugar with the remaining 1/2tsp cinnamon. Roll the doughnuts in the sugar until they have a lovely dusting all over.