I’m skeptical about this whole keto thing, but I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews from those on it around me, so I’m giving it a go.
I have been told that it’ll be near ‘impossible’ to do keto on a vegetarian diet, never mind vegan.
So I say “challenge accepted!” 🤗
My previous knowledge of keto was that all anyone could ever eat was bacon, cheese and avocado, which didn’t exactly sound like vegan paradise.
However after some research I discovered there’s plenty of options to choose from if you know what you’re doing.
I figured the biggest challenge for me will be avoiding my after-dinner chocolate or ice cream. Keto is very ‘sweet’ unfriendly, but I guess that’s a good thing.
So I decided to reengineer the other kind of dessert – the majestic cheeseboard.
Cashews are high-carb so a no-no on keto, and I’m tired of cashew cheese anyway. It was time to experiment. Walnuts were going to take centre-stage.
I’m astonished at how delicious this cheese turned out. It’s making me question why the default for vegan cheese is always cashew nuts.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. I’ll be gorging down on these babies tonight while I catch up on Game of Thrones.
Vegan Keto Crackers and Cheese
For the Crackers
- 110 g ground almonds
- 1 flax egg (1tbsp ground flax mixed with 3tbsp hot water)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
For the Garlic Walnut Cheese
- 110 g walnuts
- 100 ml water
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Place the walnuts in a small bowl, cover with water and leave to soak for at least one hour, up to 24 hours, covered by a tea towel.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Make the flax egg for the crackers by mixing the ground flaxseed with the hot water. Give mixture a quick mix and leave to set for 5 minutes.
- Place the ground almonds, salt and nutritional yeast into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the flax egg and mix until you have a biscuity dough.
- Place the dough between two large sheets of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to flatten out into a rectangle, cutting off untidy sides as you go along. You should end up with about 16 crackers that are very thin (about 2-3mm thick). Use a spatula to scoop onto prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and hard. Allow to cool before eating.
- Make the cheese by placing the walnuts, water, nutritional yeast, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and pepper in a high-power blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to another bowl and mix in the chopped parsley. Enjoy your keto crackers and cheese!